|photo from Madeline L.|
This Month's Challenge was submitted by Saltbox House author Abby L. She suggested we have a challenge to take an old recipe and make it a new one of our own. Here are some tips and suggestions to make changes or substitute items on a recipe:
*These are tips to try in the beginning, as you have more experience with changing things and knowing which ingredients work together, then continue to change as you wish.
- Be patient, this may take several tries to make a successful change.
- Look at what you'd like to change in the recipe and consider usual substitutes first
- Try substitutes that have similar cooking/baking properties
- It is probably a safe bet to try a recipe you are familiar with to start.
- Consider the major ingredients first, don't be fooled by the minor ones.
- Don't be afraid to try the recipe as you make it (of course raw meats and other ingredients that need to be cooked first would be an exception).
- Write down exactly what you are doing each time you try it so you don't make the same mistake or forget to do something you should have done.
- If it is unsuccessful, review your notes, taste it to see what you didn't or did do to make it that way and make a few more notes of your thoughts about the flavor, texture, and look of the outcome.
- Have fun!
- Good Luck!
- Don't give up!